Terms & Conditions
Due to social distancing guidelines relating to Covid-19 we have added the following Terms & Conditions that will remain in place until government restrictions have been removed. For the health & safety of all customers and staff we have reduced capacity and we need to minimise movement around the Studio.
Booked sessions last for two hours except Thursday evening sessions last from 5.30 to 9.30. Thursday evening sessions cannot be booked after 4pm that day.
We are currently unable to accommodate any wheelchairs or baby buggies. Our baby changing area is temporarily closed. Baby car seats can be used.
Tables are available for 2, 3, 4 or 5 seats. We will not combine tables.
Only one non-painter is allowed per table. Any additional visitors who are not painting for this period will be charged a £10 admission fee. Outside seating for drinks and snacks will be available.
Our full drinks menu will be available as well as a Cakes & Snacks menu.
When you arrive please wait to be seated by our staff.
Our staff will invite one table at a time to make your pottery selection. You may wish to save time by browsing the current selection in the Shop section of the Web site prior to your visit. Please move through and choose your pottery as quickly as possible to allow others to make their selections.
If you have children with you, please ensure that only one adult in your party handles the pottery when choosing.
Brushes and other painting equipment as well as the most popular paint colours will be available on the table. Please ask our staff if you require more brushes or additional paint colours not on the table.
In order to minimise movement around the Studio it is important to remain seated at all times unless you need to visit the toilets. Please do not queue for the toilets. Raise your hand if you need attention from our staff.
Your session finishes at the advertised time in order that our staff have sufficient time for deep cleaning your table area before the next session. If you wish to continue your piece during another session you can take it home with you.
Our staff will take full details and you can pay at your table. Card payment is advised with contactless available up to £45.
- A Studio Fee will be charged to each painter. This is irrespective of the number of items painted or the type of item. The Studio Fee is £4.50 per adult painter and £3.50 for under 16s. A Family Studio Fee (2 adults and 2 under 16s) is available at £14 with additional adults charged at £3.50. For baby or child painted hand or footprints we charge one Adult Studio Fee irrespective of the number of children. Studio Fees are not charged to Clay Friends members.
- Each Studio Fee covers Studio time and resources. There is no time limit and one return visit is covered to complete a piece. Further visits to work on the same piece will incur a new full price Studio Fee per visit.
- If new pieces are started during a return visit a new Studio Fee will be chargeable.
- It is not permitted to paint items brought in from outside The Clay Studio. We do not fire items painted elsewhere.
- The Clay Studio is a Paint Your Own Pottery studio. Staff are available to advise as appropriate. Staff may not be able to correct mistakes made with paint.
- All new painters are given an induction on how to use the paints, etc. The Clay Studio cannot accept responsibility for pieces where guidelines have not been followed.
- The Studio Fee includes use of all "standard" paints. Specialist paints and resources such as special glazes are charged as used according to a separate price list.
- There may be minor colour variations on pieces according to how they have been painted. Minor imperfections are a result of the hand-painted nature of the pottery and the natural state of the clay.
- Pottery is fragile and broken pottery is extremely sharp. Any breakages will be charged at the full shelf price plus Studio Fee.
- When a piece is completed The Clay Studio staff will give an estimated date when we expect the piece to be glazed and fired ready for collection. This is normally 4-5 working days after the piece has been completed. It will normally be available after 11am on this date. If there is any delay our staff will endeavour to call in advance.
- The estimated date is not a guarantee of the completion date. The nature of the product and the firing process means that a degree of flexibility may sometimes be required. For this reason we recommend that items required for a specific day are painted at least two weeks in advance.
- Glazed and fired pottery will be held for six months from the date of completion. Please e-mail or call us if you are unable to collect within this period.
- The Clay Studio cannot take responsibility for how items are handled or used once they have been collected. Pottery is fragile and will chip or break if misused.
- The Clay Studio can advise on the use of items in ovens, dishwashers, microwave ovens and outdoors.
Courier and Postage
- We are happy to send completed pottery by courier within the UK on request, The cost of this is available from our staff and will depend upon what has been painted.
- If an item has not been received within two weeks it is important to contact us immediately so that we can contact the courier company within their normal terms.
- We recommend providing a telephone number and e-mail address so that the package can be more easily tracked. We are happy to supply the courier company's tracking details.
- The Clay Studio's liability ends when the parcel has been delivered intact according to the courier company's tracking. Damaged or undelivered items should be notified within 24 hours of delivery and no later than 26 days from the date of dispatch so that the courier company can be contacted within their terms.
Pottery may be ordered on-line to paint-at-home. This is available as packs with all materials or individual pieces of unpainted pottery. In the latter case paints should be ordered separately.
Painting equipment is supplied and this must be returned to The Clay Studio when returning pottery for glazing & firing. We do not take unused paints back and they can be used for future projects.
Pottery ordered on-line to paint at home is usually available during the next opening session. This is confirmed by e-mail when the pottery is ready for collection.
The Clay Studio is unable to fire pottery purchased elsewhere or with paints other than those supplied by The Clay Studio.
- Bookings are not normally necessary to paint at The Clay Studio. The Clay Studio recommends booking for groups of four or more so that appropriate tables can be reserved. Bookings are also recommended for First Impressions Clay Imprints and Plaster Outprints.
- For bookings outside normal opening hours and for parties a deposit is required. For a children's birthday party this is 50% of the expected painting cost. For other parties and group bookings there is a set deposit of £140. This deposit is refundable against the cost on the day except.
- Cancellation more than 14 days in advance – full deposit refund.
- Cancellation 4-13 days in advance – 50% of deposit refund.
- Cancellation within 3 days – no deposit refund.
Commissions and First Impressions
- Please note that The Clay Studio is not currently accepting briefs for bespoke commissions.
- Full payment is due at the time of briefing. A commission will not be started until full payment has been received. An expected completion date will be given. The Clay Studio staff will call once the piece has been completed.
- As these are bespoke pieces they cannot be changed once work has commenced. The Clay Studio staff will not make any alterations to the original signed-off brief unless requested before painting has commenced.
- The expected completion date is an estimate due to the nature of the process. This is usually at least one week before the actual due date to enable any corrections to be made and to allow for any kiln firing problems. For this reason we recommend that items that have a specific due date are briefed well in advance.
- Commissions will not normally be accepted with a deadline of less than two weeks.
- Commissions that do not have a deadline date will be completed in the order in which they were briefed.
- First Impressions Clay Imprints and plaster outprints usually take 5-6 weeks from when the imprint was made. Silver Clay Jewellery is usually available for collection after 1-2 weeks. The actual time required can vary for a number of reasons due to the nature of the processes used. Our staff will call when an item is complete and ready for collection.
Painting Academy Workshops
- Workshops are offered on an inclusive basis with all materials, tuition and Studio Fees included.
- We will not normally allow pieces other that the highlighted piece to be painted in workshops as the project will have been designed for a specific piece. If we do allow the project to be completed on an alternative piece we cannot guarantee the results and the painter must accept full responsibility should the piece not turn out as expected.
- Clay Friends membership is valid for twelve months. A reminder is usually sent about two weeks before renewal is due.
- Clay Friends membership is for individuals and for named members of a family. Membership cannot be refunded or transferred.
- Membership commences on the date of purchase of the benefit. Voucher are also available for memberships as presents.
- Members may be asked to produce a membership card when painting to claim benefits under the scheme.
- Membership ensures no payment of Studio Fees during the year. Pottery paid for by a member but painted by a non-member will incur a Studio Fee including pieces commenced by a member.
- Members benefit from one complimentary hot drink per session when starting a new piece. One complimentary drink per session. This is most easily described as one complimentary hot drink when a Studio Fee would have been payable. The complimentary hot beverage is not valid on "free" pieces.
- The complimentary hot drink is valid for that painting session only and may not be carried over to a future visit.
- Bisque “additions” are not counted as pottery pieces.
- All members receive 10% discount on the marked prices of items such as crystal glazes and on Painting Academy Workshops where there is an “all-in” price.
- Where members introduce a new member both are entitled to a voucher for a free “standard” mug or side plate. This voucher cannot be taken as credit against other items.
The Clay Studio reserves the right to amend our Terms & Conditions from time subject to business needs.
Last updated: May 2020